|This slideshow design personalized with Smilebox|
Hello First Grade Families,
Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed their winter break. I want to thank all of the parents that helped out during our Christmas party. I really appreciate those that were able to send items in for the party and those that volunteered during the party. I know the kids had a blast! Also, thank you for all of the thoughtful gifts. I truly appreciate your generosity.
- Please save empty toilet paper rolls for me and send them in with your child. We will be using them for a project this Thursday.
- Please do not forget to date and initial the log each night. As a reminder, your child needs to complete 10 minutes of math homework and 20 minutes of reading homework each night (read book I send home, practice sight words, and read books of choice).
- Don’t forget to clean out your child’s binder. Any papers I send home are yours to keep.
This week in first grade:
- We will review nouns (possessive, common and proper). We will learn how and when to use pronouns.
- We will begin learning about nonfiction text features (table of contents, glossary, index, bold print words, etc.)
- We will review the four sentence types (declarative, interrogative, imperative and exclamatory).
- We will begin out Science unit on light waves and sound waves.
A Math Message from Miss Garcia
Your 1st grader will continue to have fact practice homework. Remember that you can always use fun and creative ways at home to practice number sense; counting objects, making groups of 2’s, 5’s or 10’s, counting on from any given number or using playing cards/UNO cards to add numbers together.
The students finished graphing prior to winter break. This week we hope to complete MAP testing for math as well as work on recognizing and naming 2-dimensional shapes and 3-dimensional shapes.
Happy New Year and have a great week!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia