WOW! We are starting week 9! It is hard to believe we’ve already been in school that long! We have already learned so much in such a short time! I’m excited for the rest of the fall! 🙂
–PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
-The High School and Middle School Student Council is hosting a shoe drive! Please consider donating new or used shoes by October 31st.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Continued determining when syllables are open or closed.
- Reviewed specific fiction story elements including characters, setting, problem and solution.
- Identified the sounds common digraphs make (ch, sh, wh, th).
- Took the information we have gathered about our community helpers and began creating a poster with this information.
- Took our first word study assessment with -ap family words.
- Revised our broom designs from last week and tried again!
- Told subtraction number stories and wrote subtraction equations that matched these stories.
- Related missing part number bonds to subtraction equations.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Begin another word study of -og family words.
- Continue reviewing digraphs.
- Identify the title, author, illustrator and what each one’s job is.
- Identify ending blends and the sounds they make. (-sk, -sp, -mp, -lt, -ft, and more)
- Continue cutting and mounting our community helper writings onto posters.
- Begin a fun Halloween writing…What should my teacher be for Halloween?
- Create a “Creature Catcher”.
- Practice using the “count back” strategy to determine the difference in a subtraction equation.
- Write two addition equations and two subtraction equations for a given number bond. We like to call these “fact families”.
SAVE THE DATE:
November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!