We will be having our Halloween party on Wednesday afternoon. Thank you to everyone who has offered to help! Your child may wear their costumes to school on Wednesday. We will be having our annual Halloween parade on Wednesday Morning.
Oasis is still collecting can goods for the food banks and clean, gently used coats and jackets for the coat drive.
Wednesday is also Fire Safety — The fire department will visit Oasis Academy and teach us all about fire safety.
No School on November 12 in observance of Veteran’s Day.
There will be no reading or Math Homework on Wednesday (Happy Halloween)
Last week in first grade…
- we started researching the community helpers.
- we learned all about nouns.
- we learned about fiction story elements including (characters, setting and plot). We also learned about illustrations, the illustrator and the author.
- we reviewed digraphs.
This week we will…
- Continue to work on our community help projects.
- read fiction books and look at the story elements.
- identify ending blends including nk, lk, lt, ect.
- begin to look at word in the ap famlily.
- identify the author and illustrator.
- complete a story map.
Math News From Miss Garcia
There was a lot of learning going on this week! The first graders determined if equations were True or False. They counted on from any given number up to 50 and we worked hard on writing the Commutative Property of an equation which will lead into Fact Families. This week we will work on subtraction and and finding the missing part of a number bond and an equation. As extension activities at home your child can count objects or tell addition number stories which they are very familiar with.
For example: 5 – __ = 2 ( 5 – 3 = 2)
We will focus on Subtraction Stories this week. Here is an example: There were 6 pumpkins. 2 rolled down a hill. How many pumpkins are left?
Fact Family: 10, 8, 2
8 + 2 = 10
2 + 8 = 10
10 – 2 = 8
10 – 8 = 2
Have a great week!!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia