Where has the time gone!? I cannot believe that we are half way through October already! We have been busy learning lots in class! MAP scores and pictures were sent home last Thursday, if you have any questions, please let me know.
–PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
-The High School and Middle School Student Council is hosting a shoe drive! Please consider donating new or used shoes by October 31st.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Continued determining when syllables are open or closed.
- Reviewed specific fiction story elements including characters, setting, problem and solution.
- Identified the sounds common digraphs make (ch, sh, wh, th).
- Took the information we have gathered about our community helpers and began creating a poster with this information.
- Took our first word study assessment with -ap family words.
- Revised our broom designs from last week and tried again!
- Told subtraction number stories and wrote subtraction equations that matched these stories.
- Related missing part number bonds to subtraction equations.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Begin another word study of -og family words.
- Continue reviewing digraphs.
- Identify the title, author, illustrator and what each one’s job is.
- Identify ending blends and the sounds they make. (-sk, -sp, -mp, -lt, -ft, and more)
- Continue cutting and mounting our community helper writings onto posters.
- Begin a fun Halloween writing…What should my teacher be for Halloween?
- Create a “Creature Catcher”.
- Practice using the “count back” strategy to determine the difference in a subtraction equation.
- Write two addition equations and two subtraction equations for a given number bond. We like to call these “fact families”.
SAVE THE DATE:
November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- I Have Who Has? Rhyming game.
- Number Stories using Halloween erasers.
- Flower petal blend sort.
- Our 6th grade friends helping each community helper group find pictures for their posters.
- Monster roll a dice subtraction stories.
- Second try building a broom that would hold many creatures.