|A photo slideshow by Smilebox|
Hi First Grade Families,
This year is flying by. We have been busy, busy, busy in 1st grade. Above you will find the slideshow from our bobbing for apple challenge. The first graders had to create a contraption that would bob for apples for them. They worked in their tribe groups and made had some amazing designs. The rules for this challenge were to use only the materials provided (pipe cleaner, straws, paper clips, string, popsicle sticks) and they could not get any part of their body wet. This challenge was great fun!!!
- Please label your child’s snack. We have had some confusion on what snack belongs to whom.
- Please make sure to write your child’s name in any of their loose clothing. With us all having the same items it is hard to know what items belong to each child.
- Book orders should be in this week. If you don’t want it sent home with your 1st grader please let me know via an email.
- Please remember to have your child bring in their favorite fiction book to share with us on MONDAY. We are studying fiction story elements and students love to share their books.
Last week the 1st graders…
- practiced rhyming words — We are still having a hard time with this. Please help your child master this skill by rhyming words through out your evening (driving in the car, bath time, etc.)
- practiced blends — Students are still confusing tr (they spell ch) dr (they spell it jr, or gr). These are 2 sounds that are hard to hear.
- began learning about fiction story elements.
- used 5 star sentences to create a monster and then write about it from the book (I NEED MY MONSTER by Amanda Noll).
- Started our next big project on Community helpers.
This week we will…
- Review the digraphs (ch, sh, qu, th, ph, gh, wh)
- Learn all about nouns.
- become an expert on a chosen community helper.
We will be having our Halloween party on Oct. 31 st. Your child may wear their costume to school. If you would like to help with the halloween party by planning a game or a craft please let me know. It will be from 1:00 – 2:00.
Math News from Miss Garcia
1st grade families,
This week the class continued to tell number stories to each other using both equations and number bonds. We continue to work on addition strategies to a sum of 10. Soon we will be learning about Fact Families and the relationship between how the numbers work together.
Fact Family: 10, 8, 2
8 + 2 = 10
2 + 8 = 10
10 – 2 = 8
10 – 8 = 2
Have a great week!!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garica