Another great week in first grade!! So much progress being made by all students!
PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Identified closed and open syllables.
- Began discussing the attributes of a fiction story.
- Researched a community helper in our TRIBES group.
- Started our word study (-ap family).
- Assessed our ability to rhyme.
- Listened to the story Room on the Broom and built a “broom” that could hold creatures out of 5 straws and tape.
- Related missing part number bonds to missing addend equations.
- Determined if an equation was true or false.
- Took an assessment on addition equations, missing addends, and true/false statements.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Continue determining when syllables are open or closed.
- Review specific fiction story elements including characters, setting, problem and solution.
- Identify the sounds common digraphs make (ch, sh, wh, th).
- Take the information we have gathered about our community helpers and begin creating a poster with this information.
- Take our first word study assessment with -ap family words.
- Revise our broom designs from last week and try again!
- Tell subtraction number stories and write subtraction equations that match these stories.
- Relate missing part number bonds to subtraction equations. EX: This number bond with a whole of 10 and a part of 5 could also be written as a subtraction equation of 10-5=_.
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES…
- Practicing math facts with our stuffed animals.
- Designing a “broom” with only 5 straws and tape that could hold little critters/objects.
SAVE THE DATE:
November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!