We had a wonderful week in First grade!! It is hard to believe that we are starting our 7th week of school! As the weather begins to change, please make sure that your child’s sweatshirts and jackets are labeled with their name.
I would love to support your child outside of school, please let me know when their extracurricular activities are so I can attend.
Left: Winning group from Mrs. Rowlett’s class who successfully bobbed 7 apples with their device. Right: Winning group from Mrs. Peixoto’s class who successfully bobbed 8 apples with their device.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Designed and tested an apple bobbing device.
- Counted syllables in words and determined if a syllable was closed.
- Identified L blends and reviewed R blends.
- Used Format Matters and Habits of Discussion when responding in class.
- Began learning about community helpers and how they help our community.
- Created a tower with candy and toothpicks as a STEM challenge.
- Used number lines and 120 charts along with the counting on strategy to find the sums in addition equations.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Identify closed and open syllables.
- Discuss the attributes of a fiction story.
- Research a community helper in our TRIBES group.
- Start spelling (-ap family).
- Assess our ability to rhyme.
- Relate missing part number bonds to missing addend equations. Ex: 2+___=5 or ___+3=5
- Determine if an equation is true. Ex: 5+5=6+5 Students first need to find the value of each side of the equation. In this equation, the value is 10=10. (This would be a true statement.) Ex: 6+2=4+3 The value of each side of the equation is 8=7. (This would be a false statement.)
- Take an assessment on addition equations, missing addends, and true/false statements.
SAVE THE DATE:
November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES…
- Apple Bobbing Devices…I am so PROUD to say that EVERY group was successful in designing a device that bobbed anywhere from 1-8 apples!
- Monster finger math practice.
- Stem challenge with a partner of building a tall structure to keep “Pip” the squirrel safe.