We had a wonderful week in First grade!! It is hard to believe that we are starting our 7th week of school and saying good by to September. This year is already flying by.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Designed and tested an apple bobbing device.
- Counted syllables in words and determined if a syllable was closed.
- Identified L blends and reviewed R blends.
- Used Format Matters and Habits of Discussion when responding in class.
- Began learning about community helpers and how they help our community.
- Created a tower with candy and toothpicks as a STEM challenge.
- Used number lines and 120 charts along with the counting on strategy to find the sums in addition equations.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Identify closed and open syllables.
- Discuss the attributes of a fiction story.
- Research a community helper in our TRIBES group.
- Start spelling (-ap family).
- Assess our ability to rhyme words and count syllables
** Note on Spelling. For spelling we look at words with this spelling pattern (ap family this week) We identify words in the family (cap, slap, clapping, apple). We will practice using these words during our daily 5 block for 2 weeks.
Math News from Miss Garcia
Last week the first graders used number lines and 120 charts along with the counting on strategy to find the sums in addition equations. This week we will relate missing part number bonds to missing addend equations. Ex: 2+___=5 or ___+3=5 . First graders will also determine if an equation is true. Ex: 5+5=5+5 Students first need to find the value of each side of the equation. In this equation, the value is 10=10. (This would be a true statement.) Ex: 6+2=4+3 The value of each side of the equation is 8=7. (This would be a false statement.) And finally we will take an assessment on addition equations, missing addends, and true/false statements.
SAVE THE DATE:
November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!
Have a great week!