Our 3rd grade class had a great time going on our first Google Expedition this week. Mr. Kelly led us through some interesting habitats to see if we could spot the creatures using camouflage. We will definitely being using this exciting technology again throughout the year!
Some important events happening this week:
- Picture day for 3rd and 4th grade is Tuesday, September 24th. The order forms for K-4th have not arrived yet. You can place your order online at www.mylifetouch.com – the school picture day ID is CR809421Q0. This ID is valid for both Monday & Tuesday pictures. Students must wear their school uniforms for pictures.
- Thursday, September 26th is pajama dress up day! Students must bring a minimum $1 donation to participate. All proceeds will be going to the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation.
- Scholastic book orders are due at the end of this week! September 26th is the final day to order. Our classroom code for ordering is VY888.
- If your child has a game or extracurricular activity, I would love to come to show them my support. Please let me know when and where so I can try to make it 🙂
This week, we will be working on the following skills:
Projects: We will be learning about the four categories of camouflage: concealing coloration, disguise, mimicry and disruptive coloration. Students will also learn about natural selection and survival of the fittest/most adaptable. We will be using the peppered moth as an example of the natural selection process. Students will then create their own creature that will use a form of camouflage to adapt to its surroundings.
Writing: Students will continue to practice using transition words and how to add vivid details to their personal narratives by describing feelings and actions. We will also begin practicing dialogue and quotations. Students will create dialogue cartoon strips to share with the class. Students will be learning how to write the letter F in cursive this week as well.
3rd Grade ELA: Students will practice alphabetizing words, review common and proper nouns, and use visualization to better understand a text. Our mentor text this week is Saturday and Teacakes. Students will also continue practicing their time management by completing Must Dos/May Dos for Daily 5.
4th Grade ELA: Students will practice alphabetizing words, review common and proper nouns, and use visualization to better understand a text. Our mentor text this week is Saturday and Teacakes. Students will also continue practicing their time management by completing Must Dos/May Dos for Daily 5.
- Reading homework log needs to be signed every night and homework folders brought back to class everyday.
- Please have your student bring an Oasis approved jacket/sweater to school each week. It is getting chillier outside and can get cold within the classroom as well. Be sure to label your child’s items!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a wonderful week!
A Note from Mrs. Antoniono: