This week flew by in First grade! We enjoyed the cooler temperatures and the 5 STAR lunch celebration! Way to go BIGHORNS!!
If your child is involved in extra curricular activities (soccer, dance, rodeo, music, etc..) please share a schedule of local games, recitals, etc., and I will do my best attend and support them outside of the classroom as well!
Don’t forget that Thursday is the last day to submit book orders!
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are now coming home each night.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Edited our apple opinion papers and wrote our final drafts.
- Counted syllables in words.
- Identified R blends and other blends.
- Used Format Matters and Habits of Discussion when responding in class.
- Made applesauce in class.
- Designed an apple bobbing device with a group.
- Took an assessment on number bonds.
- Began to look at addition equations through addition number stories.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Test our apple bobbing devices, make modifications, and test again.
- Identify closed syllables.
- Finish our interactive writing of Habits of Discussion.
- Begin learning about our community helpers.
- Continue reviewing syllables, blends, and short vowels.
- Practice using the strategy of “counting on” using both a number line and 120 chart.
Example: If your equation is 2+5=__, we ask students to start on the addend of 2 and “hop” or “jump” 5 more. The students then land on the sum of 7. We will teach students to begin with the larger addend and hop or jump using the smaller addend.
- TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24th–PICTURE DAY (Students must wear their uniforms.)
- THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26th–Pajama Day (Please bring a donation to participate.)
- THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26th—Book Orders Due
- PLEASE label all jackets and sweatshirts…they are starting to pile up on the lost and found table.
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES…
- using double dice to practice adding.
- our 5 STAR lunch celebration.
- peeling apples.
- everyone wanting to try out the apple peels left from peeling.
- tasting apple sauce and waiting for seconds! YUM!