We had another great week in first grade. It was so much fun to see all the students dressed in their red, white and blue gear. Thank you to all the families who donated.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This time is to include sight word practice as well.)****I am hoping to begin reading groups this week! It is my goal that students will bring home one book either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Your child should reread this book at home with you as part of their nightly reading and then place back in their reading pocket in their binder to return to me the next day.
- Math facts sheet each night
- Please make sure homework does NOT take longer than 20 minutes for reading and 10 minutes for math. If this occurs, please just send an email or note, letting me know.
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE…
- Continued practicing short vowel sounds.
- Counted syllables in words.
- Tasted apples, recorded data on each apple. 1st graders chose their favorite apple and we graphed our preferences.
- Wrote about what we know about apples
- Wrote our opinion of the best apple.
- Practiced using format matters when responding to a question.
- Created number bonds to 10.
- Worked on finding the missing part in number bonds to 10.
THIS WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE WILL…
- Edit our apple opinion papers and write final drafts.
- Continue counting syllables in words.
- Identify r blends
- Use Format Matters and Habits of Discussion when responding in class
- Finish establishing Daily 5 choices by adding listen to reading and read to a partner.
- Design an apple bobbing device with a group.
- Take our 2nd math assessment.
- Tell and write number stories. (Working towards helping students to understand addition.)
- You can practice number stories in the car, at home, or even shopping! Here is an example: There are 4 kids on the playhouse and 3 kids running by the slide. There are 7 kids playing on the playground.
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER:
September 19: Carnival at Oasis Academy — for all Oasis families.
September 26: PJ Day – Bring a donation to support the Northern Nevada
Childhood Cancer Foundation
September 26th: BOOK ORDERS DUE (If you have any questions, please let me know.)
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW FEATURES:
- I matter because… (This is being completed school wide!)
- Finding our partners to make 10
- Shake and spill, making combinations to 10
- Lego creations students made during Lego time earned by receiving 20 class compliments from myself or other adults!
- Apple tasting…YUM!