Hello First Grade Families,
Happy late Mother’s day!! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend especially all the wonderful mother’s out there.
Wow!!! I totally feel loved. Thank you for all the wonderful notes, and gifts that were sent in for teacher appreciation. It melts my heart reading all the notes the kids (and parents) wrote. I love spending each day with your children. They are such amazing individuals.
- The Spring Buy One Get One Book Fair Extravaganza is this week. They will be open May 13-16 (7:45-8:15, 11:15-2:30, and 3:45-4:45). Please see your email for more information.
- This will be our last week for Spelling Word Study.
- MAPs Testing- First graders will take the MAPs reading test on Tuesday, May 21 and the MAPs Math test on Wednesday, May 22. Please make sure your child gets a good night sleep and breakfast on those days.
- On Monday, May 13, I will be sending home an activity to be completed for homework and returned by May 15. Your child will have two pictures of a house. He/She will need to glue or tape a sun on the sheet to show which side of your house the sun rises and which side of your house the sun sets. If you have any questions, please let me know.
- Scholastic Book Orders- I should receive your orders this week and will send the items home with your child.
Last week in first grade:
- We learned our new word study pattern -eat.
- We practiced using MINTS to find words that need to be capitalized and took an assessment.
- We added details to our small moment stories.
- We explored the sun, moon and stars. We learned the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. We also created paper cup star projectors and projected the Big Dipper into the “sky”.
This week in first grade:
- We will learn how to use commas with adjectives in a sentence.
- We will retell a story and include the central message.
- We will edit/revise our small moment stories and write our final drafts.
- We will study the sun, moon and stars and learn about day and night, seasons, and how the Earth’s rotation plays a role in all of these things.
A Math Message from Mrs. Bloomfield:
First graders are finished with fractions! They should be able to tell you all about halves, thirds and fourths! In class, we continue to work on adding multiples of 10 to any number, name 3-dimensional shapes and use multiple strategies to solve problems. The first graders will MAP test the week of May 20th. There will not be any assigned homework the week of May 20th due to MAP testing. Remember, you can always play math games, work high number and read before bed so that your kiddos are still getting extra practice. Keep up the great work Bighorns!
Have a great week!
~Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia~