Hello First Grade Families,
Hope everyone had an amazing weekend. I love the spring weather. Remember to write your child’s name on extra clothing items.
Last week in first grade:
- We began our word study for -ain words.
- We practiced using possessive and plural nouns.
- We found the main idea and key details in a paragraph.
- We finished up our Biomimicry unit by creating boxes and using an animal’s or plant’s special ability to protect the box.
- We started our small moment narrative stories.
This week in first grade:
- We will learn how to use MINTS as a tool for remembering capital letters. (MINTS stands for Months/days, I, Names, Titles, and beginning of Sentences.)
- We will read a paragraph and identify the main idea and key details.
- We will review how to use adjectives to make our sentences come to life.
- We will continue to develop our small moment narrative stories.
- We will explore the sun, moon and stars with some fun activities.
A Math Message from Mrs. Bloomfield:
The first graders continue to focus on fractions. We will discuss partitioning circles and rectangles into 2 (halves) and 4 (quarters/fourths) equal parts. Our math vocabulary will include: half, half-of, fourths and quarters.
Have a great week!