September 3, 2019
Dear Second Grade Families,
Hoping everyone had a relaxing and fun filled 4 day Labor Day Weekend!!
It’s hard to believe we will be entering our 3rd week of school!! The first 2 weeks have been very busy and all 2nd graders are getting settled into a routine.
Here’s a few of important reminders…
- Although it’s early in the school year, there seems to be a few “bugs” going around already. If your child is going to be absent, please call the office (423-5437) by 9 a.m.
- Also please remember that if anyone comes to check your child/children out of school who is not on the emergency card they will not be released to them. The list can be updated by going to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
- Read to the bottom of the blog for a message from Mrs. Wilbanks and Mrs. Rowlett about reading.
Last week in Math, in addition to taking the Math MAPs test on Tuesday; students worked on counting on and counting back by 10’s and 1’s within 100. We also spent time looking at numbers with over 100. This work will continue next week.
We continued to take simple sentences, combine them with conjunctions (and, but, or, so) to form a compound sentence. These sentences were used to identify nouns, verbs, and conjunctions and to identify the subject and predicate parts of sentences.
Josh enjoys reading.
Josh enjoys solving math problems.
Josh enjoys reading, and he enjoys solving math problems.
In writing we are learning about the writing process (prewriting, rough draft, editing, revising, and final draft), through writing some clues about ourselves. This week students will focus on editing, revising, and producing a final draft. This writing piece will be completed in the 4th week of school.
Our work with our Tribes Project has continued. We focused on the Tribes Agreements of Mutual Respect, No Put Downs, and Appreciations. For each agreement we have made an artifact for the class so that we will remember the agreement throughout the year.
This week we will be contacting local businesses to ask permission via a letter to hang student created Tribes Posters in their business. We are hoping for a positive response from the business community so that the Tribes Agreements will spread beyond Oasis Academy and into the community of Fallon.
Wishing everyone a fantastic week!!
Anne Bloomfield, Shannon Garcia, Heather Wiessmer
Here’s some reading information from Mrs. Rowlett and Mrs. Wilbanks…
Happy week 3. The 2nd graders are doing a great job building stamina in all the daily 5 choices.
Last week …
- we mastered read to self, read to someone, and work on writing.
- we determined the difference between long and short vowels
- reviewed silent e at the end of words
- identified words with super sneaky “MR. Y”
Next week we will…
- finish up beginning of the year assessment
- add in word work and listen to reading.
- review open and closed syllables.
Homework — Please continue to read for 20 minutes each night and complete the reading log. We will begin guided reading groups beginning on Monday, September 9th.
Have a great week!!