Dear 1st Grade Families,
It was a great second week of school! We are getting into a routine and lots of learning is happening! It has been so much fun getting to know each one of the students in our class.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes: Your child will receive a reading log in their binder envelopes this week. Please begin to complete this sheet.
- Math facts sheet each night
- Please make sure homework does NOT take longer than 20 minutes for reading and 10 minutes for math. If this occurs, please just send an email or note, letting me know.
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE…
- Worked on our TRIBES agreements of Mutual Respect and No Put Downs
- Chose Good Fit books
- Built stamina when reading to self
- Began writing about each TRIBE member
- Reviewed short vowel sounds
THIS WEEK IN CLASS WE WILL:
- Work on the TRIBES agreement of Appreciations
- Learn about syllables
- Continuing to write about our TRIBE members
- Introduce Work on Writing
- Continue to build reading stamina
Math New From Miss Garcia
Last week we reviewed counting groups to 10 and took our first math assessment. The students did a great job! This week we will start a new unit on Number Bonds. Number Bonds are a great way to model addition strategies. A Number Bond is a mental picture that shows the relationship between a number and the parts that combine to make it. Teaching students about number bonds is an important foundation for understanding how numbers work.
Have a great week!!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia