Hello First Grade Families,
Thank you to all of the parents that were able to meet with for conferences. It was wonderful talking with you about your child’s great progress this year. I love this time of year the first graders are making so much progress, it is so much fun to see!!
Reminder: Book orders — a scholastic book order went home with your child last week. This will be our last one this will be our last one this year. You may visit :
https://clubs.scholastic.com our class code is: HLFMD
Last week in first grade:
- We began our word study for -ay words.
- We learned about root words, prefixes and suffixes.
- We practiced finding the main idea and key details in a paragraph.
- We finished up our poetry journals
- We studied Biomimicry by creating a project to protect us while riding a bike. We began by thinking about how a turtle’s shell protects its body.
This week in first grade:
- We will review common nouns, proper nouns, possessive nouns and plural nouns.
- We will continue to practice finding the main idea and key details of a passage.
- We will continue our study of Biomimicry by studying camouflage .
- We will begin learning about small moment stories and create lists of moments we could write about.
A Math Message from Miss Garcia
The first graders continue to work on measurement. We will be ordering 3 objects by length as well as expressing the length of an object as a whole number of units. In first grade, the standard states to measure using non-standard units vs. standard units. Here are a few examples listed below…
|Non Standard Units||Standard Units|
Have a great week!
~Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garica~