Welcome back to school!! I hope everyone had a restful and fun spring break. It was nice to have time off, but I am looking forward to seeing all the first graders tomorrow morning.
Thank you to all of the families that were able to make it to our animal slideshow presentations! The kids worked very hard and I am so proud of them. Important Information/Reminders: April 12- Parent/teacher conferences are scheduled for this Friday. Please see the link below for the sign-up.
- April 12- Parent/teacher conferences are scheduled for this Friday. If you didn’t receive the sign up genius please let me know and I will send you the link.
- Homework policy- Your child should be reading for 20 minutes each night and math should be 10 minutes each night. For reading, your child should read the book I send home, study sight words and read books of his or her choice. Don’t forget Raz Kids is always a great choice! If you need the username and password let me know.
- As the weather gets warmer, the kids need to drink more water. I highly suggest they bring a full water bottle to school each day.
- Make sure to label all loose clothing that way if an items gets lost it will be found easily.
Before Spring Break:
- We practiced point of view of a story and looking for quotation marks.
- We wrote sentences using prepositional phrases.
- We worked with partners to find the main topic and key details of a paragraph.
- We presented slideshows to parents and families.
- We wrote poems for our poetry journals.
This week in first grade:
- We will practice our word study pattern (-ay). If I can spell say, I can spell play.
- We will learn about root words, prefixes and suffixes.
- We will continue to practice finding the main topic and key details in a paragraph.
- We will finish up our poetry journals by writing an important poem and a Haiku.
- We will begin our study about biomimicry by planning and designing a solution to a human problem by using nature.
|This free picture slideshow generated with Smilebox|
A Math Message from Miss Garcia:
This week the first grade students will be working on problem solving and measurement. Our class will be ordering 3 objects by length as well as expressing the length of an object as a whole number of units. For example a pencil is 7 cubes (units) long or a crayon is 3 paper clips long.
Have a great week!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia