As expected, students mastered BOTH the rock and fossil tests last week! We enjoyed a tasty treat/activity on Thursday, where we used starbursts to create the 3 different rock types. We all had fun… see picture below. This week in projects we continue our Earth Science unit with the study of volcanoes. The kids are really looking forward to creating (but probably more so exploding) their own volcano. Your child was assigned a new project group on Thursday, and each member of the group decided who was responsible for what items. Since we will begin construction on Tuesday, please bring all materials asap. The 4 main items were:
- Crayola Air Dry Clay: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-Air-Dry-Clay-White-2-5-Lb-Resealable-Bucket/14590620
- Acrylic paint, 2 or 3 colors
- paint brushes (4)
- rocks, sticks, grass, leaves (or other items to decorate their volcano /terrain)
- Any other little people/decorations from home will be returned Thursday
If you have any questions or are unable to bring your child’s designated supplies, please let me know and I’ll take care of it. If you happen to have an extra metal pie tin (throw away kind) laying around and wouldn’t mind sending it, that would be appreciated. For logistic reasons we are completing our project on this unit first, but we will go study more volcano facts and complete other activities the week after spring break. The vocabulary terms your child will receive this Monday will not be tested until April 11.
Last week students made progress on their narrative organizers and rough drafts. Your child is practicing the hook of their story, along with how to “show not tell” their emotions and feelings through their writing. Although students aren’t quite finished with these stories, we will take a break from testing prep and move into informative writing this week. Students will write an informational piece Monday that I will use as a pre-assessment. Then, we will spend the rest of the week using mentor texts, anchor charts/note takers, and classroom discussions to introduce informational writing and how generate topics for this type of writing.
- Report cards were sent home Thursday, 3/21
- Parent/Teacher conferences will be April 12. Please be watching your email for a Signup Genius soon
- THIS MONDAY- March 25- “I’m All Ears – OA Parents Asking Questions” forum. The forum will be held on the following dates at both 8:00-8:30 a.m. and 5:15-5:45 p.m. This is an effort to provide a forum for parents to ask any question they want regarding any topic. The “I’m All Ears” forum will have no agenda! Parents can bring any questions to the table and get accurate answers from school leadership.
- SPRING BREAK April 1-4