Hello First Grade Families,
Spring is definitely in the air. The spring weather was amazing this weekend. I hope everyone had a chance to get outside and enjoy it. This year is just flying by. I can’t believe we are already starting the 3rd trimester and that spring break is right around the corner. With the warm weather and spring sports evenings can be busy. Please continue to make homework part of your nightly routine. The first graders are making great gains.
- Save the date- On March 28, our first grade class will be presenting their animal slideshows. We will be in the lunchroom from 1:00-1:45 for parents and families to come see the presentations.
- 2nd Trimester Conferences- I will be sending out the conference sign-up via email next week. Please look for this sign up in your email in box.
- On Thursday, March 21, all students and staff are asked to wear their “Nobody Fights Alone” t-shirt in honor of Mrs. Antoniono. At 8:00 am, a group picture will be taken. Parents who have purchased a shirt may join us for the picture on the playground. Thank you for supporting your Oasis Family.
- 2nd Trimester Report Cards- Please be on the lookout for your child’s report card in their binder early this week.
Last week in first grade:
- We practiced finding the main idea of nonfiction text.
- We learned how to use prepositions in a sentence.
- We read stories and discussed who was telling the story and point of view.
- We started our poetry unit and wrote an acrostic poem using our first names
- We worked on our animal slideshows.
This week in first grade:
- Our new word study pattern is -one. If I can spell bone, I can spell drone.
- We will continue to practice using the correct preposition in a sentence.
- We will find the main topic and key details in a text.
- We will discuss root words, prefixes and suffixes.
- We will talk about point of view and how we can tell when a character is talking by looking for quotation marks.
- We will continue our poetry unit and finish up our animal slideshows.
A Math Message from Miss Garcia:
This week the 1st grade class will be working on recognizing coins and the value of each coin. They will count a given amount of money and this will lead into next year, in 2nd grade when they use money to solve word problems with coins and dollar bills.
Home Activity – give your 1st grader small amounts of coins and have them count them and tell you the whole amount.
Have a great week!!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia