Our class has been absolutely rocking these animal research projects! Each day students have been so excited to continue researching and learning new facts about their animals. This week will be fun for students as they begin to create their slideshows.
***Watch for a sign up genius later this week for parent teacher conferences!
Since Valentine’s Day is on a Friday this year we will not be having a Valentine’s celebration in class. However, if your child would like to bring cards to share with the class on Thursday that would be great. We will pass them out at the end of the day and the 1st graders can open them on Friday. Please be sure to include 24 and make sure to only write who they are from (this streamlines the passing out process).
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night.
Last week we:
- Identified and practiced words with the long a (ate) pattern. We also added three sight words to our practice: was, are, saw
- Practiced making singular nouns plural.
- Used conjunctions to make complex and compound sentences.
- Completed a story map on a fiction story.
- Continued practicing non fiction text features.
- Began to research an animal with a partner and make a slideshow to share our information.
- Reviewed ordering numbers to 20.
- Took an assessment on adding and subtracting within 20.
This week we will:
- Continue using conjunctions to combine simple sentences into complex sentences.
- Determine the main topic of a text and identify supporting details.
- Ask and answer questions after listening to a read aloud.
- Take a word study assessment on -ate words and also was, saw, and are.
- Compare and contrast two non-fiction texts with the same topic.
- Begin creating animal slideshows using the information we gained last week through our research.
- Determine the characters, setting, beginning, middle and end after listening to a story that was read aloud.
- Count and order numbers to 40.
- Represent a two digit number in tens and ones
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- Researching and gathering information about our animals with a partner.
- Heart art that students completed with Mrs. Johnson during art class.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- 2/17/20- President’s Day-No School
- 2/20/20 – End of the 2nd Trimester
- 2/28/20 – Parent Teacher Conferences