Hi First Grade Families.
We had a crazy, busy week last week. We had the FFA Kids visit and read us a book about John Deer Tractors. They also brought their animals for us to see, pet and learn about on Thursday. On Wednesday we had our first Semester awards, which included some great music. Congratulations to all the students that worked hard to receive an award.
- Family Movie Night is on February 28. Doors open at 5:30 and the movie starts at 6:00. Please check your email for more information.
- Stem Fair- If your child is participating in the Stem Fair, please check your email from the school for important information.
Last week in first grade:
- We began our spelling study of -ate words. Our spelling test will be this Thursday.
- We learned how to use conjunctions to write compound sentences.
- We learned what the president does for his job and wrote what we would do if we were president.
- We learned about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
- We began to research for our nonfiction animal project with our partners.
This week in first grade:
- We will learn how to tell whose point view a story is written from…1st person, 2nd person or third person.
- We will write complex sentences using conjunctions.
- We will write to compare and contrast Washington and Lincoln.
- We will choose our favorite president (Washington or Lincoln) and write an opinion piece on why he is our favorite.
- We will work on our nonfiction animal projects by using the chromebook to research and begin learning how to create a slideshow.
A Math Message from Miss Garcia:
This week the 1st grade students will continue to work on Branch Addition and adding using Partial Sums. There is an example of Partial Sums below.
Example of Partial Sums
52 → 50 + 2
+ 7 → + 7
50 50 + 9
Have a great week!