Happy Presidents Day!!!
I hope everyone had a wonderful long weekend, snow and all!!!
All the first graders had a great time celebrating Valentines day. Thank you for making their day special and for all the wonderful goodies you brought from me. We have a busy week this short week. The FFA kids are coming to share a story with us and then we will get to see all their animals on Thursday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. This is always such a fun event.
Last week was a crazy weather week which resulted in a couple days of indoor recess time. However we managed to get a lot of learning in and some fun. These are the things we did last week….
- We practiced finding and using adjectives in sentences.
- We learned about conjunctions and how to use them to write complex sentences.
- We wrote about what makes our hearts feel full. (Check out the bulletin board in the hallway to see what makes our hearts full.)
- We learned about the life cycle of a polar bear.
- We shared our penguin books with Mrs. Jackson’s class, and then wrote about the similarities and differences between polar bears and penguins.
This week we will be busy..
- We will learn the spelling pattern -ate. If I can spell gate, I can spell grate.
- We will use conjunctions to write complex sentences.
- We will learn about the job of the president and write…If I were president…
- We will learn about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, create a venn diagram about them, and then write about which president we like best.
- We will begin working on our nonfiction animal partner project.
Math News from Miss Garcia
The first grade students will work on telling find 1 more, 1 less and 10 more, 10 less than a given number. These skills can be practiced at home on a 100 chart. We will also begin to add 2 numbers together by using Branching.
15 + 21 =
10 5 + 20 1
(10 +20) + (5+1) =
30 + 6 = 36
Have a great week!!!