Happy February!! Time is truly flying by! I hope you all had a restful Super Bowl weekend and enjoyed all the game day food!
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
Since Valentine’s Day is on a Friday this year we will not be having a Valentines celebration in class. However if your child would like to bring cards to share with the class on Thursday that would be great. We will pass them out at the end of the day and the 1st graders can open them on Friday. Please be sure to include 24 and make sure to only write who they are from (this streamlines the passing out process).
Last week we:
- Continued learning more about adjectives and took an assessment
- Began learning about plural nouns…more than one chicken is called chickens, more than one fox is called foxes
- Took a word study assessment on the -ump family
- Reviewed non-fiction text features and practice naming examples of each
- Shared our non-fiction text features book with the other first grade classes
- Created a class venn diagram comparing penguins and polar bears
- Grouped students in partners to research an animal of their choice
- Used 5 star sentences to write an opinion paper on what the best animal is and why
- Continued working on decomposing numbers both when adding and subtracting.
This week we will:
- Identify and practice words with the long a (ate) pattern. We are also adding three sight words to our practice: was, are, saw
- Practice making singular nouns plural.
- Use conjunctions to make complex and compound sentences.
- Complete a story map on a fiction story.
- Continue practicing non fiction text features.
- Begin to research an animal with a partner and make a slideshow to share our information.
- Review ordering numbers to 20.
- Take an assessment on adding and subtracting within 20.
**We will be sharing these slideshows with you so be sure to check back for the time and date.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- 2/17/20- President’s Day-No School
- 2/20/20 – End of the 2nd Trimester
- 2/28/20 – Parent Teacher Conferences