I can’t believe how fast this year is going. The first graders are such amazing learners and amaze me everyday at all they are able to accomplish. I am extremely proud of all the progress they have made in the area of writing. It is so fun to see the progress they have made this year.
Please send in a note to your child stating 1 thing you love about them. Please fold it in half (or put it in an envelope) and include your child’s name on the outside. Remind them to give it to me (this is a surprise for them so don’t tell them what it is.)
Since Valentines day is on Friday we will not be having a Valentines Day celebration. However, if your child would like to bring cards to pass out that would be great. We will pass them out on Thursday afternoon and they will be able to open them on Friday. Please make sure to send in 24 and only include who the card is from (this streamlines the passing out process).
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
Since Valentines day is on a Friday this year we will not be having a Valentines celebration in class. However if your child would like to bring cards to share with the class on Thursday that would be great. We will pass them out at the end of the day and the 1st graders can open them on Friday. Please be sure to include 24 and make sure to only write who they are from (this streamlines the passing out process).
Last week we will:
- Continue learning more about adjectives and take an assessment
- Begin learning about plural nouns…more than one chicken is called chickens, more than one fox is called foxes
- Take a word study assessment on the -ump family
- Review non-fiction text features and practice naming examples of each
- Share our non-fiction text features book with the other first grade classes
- Create a class venn diagram comparing penguins and polar bears
- Group students in partners to research an animal of their choice
- Use 5 star sentences to write an opinion paper on what the best animal is and why
- Continue working on decomposing numbers both when adding and subtracting. This is a difficult concept for students, but we will continue to work on this very important strategy!
This week we will:
- Identify and practice words with the long a (ate) pattern.
- Practice making singular nouns plural.
- Use conjunctions to make complex and compound sentences.
- Complete a story map on a fiction story.
- Continue practicing non fiction text features.
- Beging to research an animal with a partner and make a slide show to share our information.
- We will be adding sight word to our word study.For the next 2 weeks we will be working on — are, was, and saw.
**We will be sharing these slide shows with you so be sure to check back for the time and date.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- 2/17/19- President’s Day-No School
- 2/20/20 – End of the 2nd Trimester
- 2/28/20 – Parent Teacher Conferences.
Have a great week!!!