Hello First Grade Families,
I hope your week is off to a great start. The first graders have been busy, busy, busy.
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK WE:
- Learned why we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. day
- Took an assessment on pronouns
- Continued to learn about adjectives
- Practiced spelling words within the -ump family
- Continued learning about non-fiction text features such as glossary, index, and captions
- Used 5 Star sentences to write about what we would do if we had a particular type of teeth
- Continued learning and writing more about penguins
- Decomposed an addend to make a ten
THIS WEEK WE WILL:
- Continue learning more about adjectives and take an assessment
- Begin learning about plural nouns…more than one chicken is called chickens, more than one fox is called foxes
- Take a word study assessment on the -ump family
- Review non-fiction text features and practice naming examples of each
- Share our non-fiction text features book with the other first grade classes
- Create a class venn diagram comparing penguins and polar bears
- Group students in partners to research an animal of their choice
- Use 5 star sentences to write an opinion paper on what the best animal is and why
- Continue working on decomposing numbers both when adding and subtracting. This is a difficult concept for students, but we will continue to work on this very important strategy!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- 2/17/19- President’s Day-No School
Have a great week!!!