August 26, 2019
It was a very successful first week of second grade. Students are learning the routines and expectations for being a 2nd grader and this group of students are amazing!!
In all academic areas we have been working on reviewing and routines. In math students are skip counting by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s. They are also worked on modeling 2-digit numbers with base ten blocks.
In Language Arts we focused on nouns. The students created a circle map listing any person, place or thing as a noun. This poster will be used as a tool in the room to refer to as the year goes on.
More highlights for the week were starting our work in projects. The “Driving Question” for the first project is…How can we as a 2nd grade Tribes classroom present our knowledge of the Tribes Agreements with the Students of Oasis Academy and the community of Fallon? Our focus this week was Attentive Listening, next week we will work on the rest of the agreements–Mutual Respect, Appreciations, No Put Downs, and Right to Pass.
Students also enjoyed going to specials–during the first quarter Mrs. Bloomfield’s class has Kibo, which is a coding and robotics course with Ms. Heidi and Miss Garcia’s class has Community Service with Mr. Lenon. All 2nd graders participated in P.E. with Mr. Nichols and Mrs. Owsley.
Reading Information from Mrs. Wilbanks and Mrs. Rowlett…
This week in language arts we will continue to build stamina in Read to Self and Work on Writing. We will keep working on long and short vowels as well as the Secret Stories. We will take the reading MAPs test on Wednesday. Remember to complete your child’s reading log each night after they read for 20 minutes.
Some Important Reminders for the Upcoming Week…
- If you haven’t sent back the beginning of the school year paperwork please be sure to get that in.
- On P.E. days (Monday/Wednesday) please be sure that your child has a water bottle and wears sneakers.
- MAPs Testing for 2nd graders will be on Tuesday for Math and Wednesday will be English Language Arts (ELA), August 27th and August 28th. Be sure your child comes to school well rested and has eaten a healthy breakfast.
- Because of MAPs Testing and the Labor Day Holiday Weekend we will not be sending homework home on Tuesday or Thursday night.
- Picture Day for students in Kindergarten through 4th grade will be on Tuesday, September 24th. More information will be forth coming.
We are looking forward to our 2nd week in 2nd grade!!
Anne Bloomfield, Shannon Garcia, and Heather Wiessmer