Dear 1st grade Families,
I hope every one had a great long weekend. It was nice having an extra day.
- Book order: If you would like to order from the scholastic book order you may do so online or you can send in your order form with a check. Our class code is HLFMD. By January 31st.
- Pizza passes need to be purchased by January 28 at 6:00 pm
Last Week in first grade:
- We practiced using common nouns, proper nouns, possessive nouns, pronouns and plural nouns.
- We continued to learn about nonfiction text features.
- We wrote our final drafts on what we did over Winter Break.
- We explored light and sound by making cup-o-phones and pinhole boxes.
This week in first grade:
- We will practice making nouns plural.
- We will learn how to use features in a nonfiction book (headings, subheadings).
- We will learn about Martin Luther King Jr. and who he was, what he had and what he wanted.
- We will continue to explore light by learning the differences between transparent, translucent, opaque and reflective.
- Our word study for the next 2 weeks will be on ump words (jump, pumped, dumping). The first graders will find words that follow this pattern on Tuesday, we will make a common list and throughout the next 2 weeks they will complete word work activities that go along with words in this family. We will revisit adding -ed and -ing. 1st graders will have a word work assessment on on Thursday – 1/31. We use spelling test paper because we are using up our spelling test paper supply from last year.
A Math Message from Mrs. Bloomfield:
We are finished learning about 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes. This week the 1st graders will go back to “making a 10.” The strategy we use is called “Branching,” see the example below:
5 + 8 = 13
8 and 2 make a 10. (8+2 = 10)
10 + 3 = 13