Hi again! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Last week was fun and productive while we learned about impacts of the natural Earth processes on humans. Thank you to everyone who brought supplies for our earthquake proof structures. We all had a lot of fun creating our houses and learning about the engineering process. (See pictures below)
This week in projects, we will being a two week unit studying energy and natural resources. We will watch a few videos and have class discussions about energy sources, natural resources and compare the differences of renewable or non-renewable resources. Students will be assigned new project groups where they will research their assigned energy source and create a slide show to present to the class next week. Students will also have vocabulary words, but I separated them into two quizzes, by renewable and non-renewable. A copy of the vocabulary words will go home today, and students can practice them as part of their reading homework each night. Since I have been sending the words home, I have seen a significant improvement on quiz scores, so thank you for your additional reinforcement.
Last week your child completed their “Crazy Weather Story” based off the mentor text, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.” They all worked extremely hard through the writing process, and turned in great papers. We will have some work to do, through revision and editing, but they are making great improvements! I am so proud of them. This week in writing, we will revise and edit more papers as a class. This Crazy Weather Story took longer than expected, so this week we will introduce opinion writing using the OREO method. We will also read another mentor text that focuses on the VOICE trait.
- Tomorrow night, Jan. 15th, is our school wide Parent Reading Night, from 5:30-6:30. Please reach out to Mrs. Luyt for more information, and plan on coming to learn how YOU can help make your child a successful reader
- Archery kids are taking their team pictures THIS Wednesday, Jan. 16. Please make sure they wear their new archery shirts to school that day.
- This Wednesday is also the Homework Roundtable. Parents are invited at 11am or 5:30pm (in the High School hangout) to give feedback on our homework policy.
- January 21- NO SCHOOL– Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 18- NO SCHOOL– President’s Day
- March 7th, 2nd Trimester ends
- Our 2nd Annual STEM Fair is fast approaching. The deadline for that fair’s registration is April 12, 2019 with the fair taking place on April 28. Please refer to the email from Mrs. Williams for more information, or ask me if you have any questions.
Have a great week- Mrs. Farley