Hello First Grade Families,
The first week back from Winter Break was a productive one. All of my students were excited to be back and share about what they did over break.
- Oasis Academy is hosting an information reading night for parents on January 15 from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. The reading teachers will be presenting reading strategies and the best way for you to support your child at home.
Book order — A Scholastic book club order will be coming home with your child. If you would like to order you can send in your order form or order online our class code is HLFMD.
Last week in first grade:
- We reviewed how to use possessive nouns and learned about pronouns.
- We began learning about nonfiction text features and are making a nonfiction mini book about ourselves.
- We reviewed the four types of sentences and how to identify each one.
- We began our Science unit on light and sound by taking a listening walk around school, experimenting with sound and how to make salt move, and making kazoos.
- We began pre-writing about what we did on our Winter Break.
This week in first grade:
- We will discuss the differences between common nouns, proper nouns, possessive nouns, pronouns and plural nouns. We will practice when and how to use all types.
- We will continue to learn about nonfiction text features.
- We will write our final drafts about what we did on Winter Break.
- We will continue exploring light and sound by making cup-o-phones and pinhole boxes.
A Math Message from Miss Garcia
The first graders completed the Math MAP test on Wednesday. They did a great job taking their time and using their strategies. This week the 1st graders worked on recognizing and naming 2-dimensional shapes and 3-dimensional shapes. We discussed the difference between defining and non-defining attributes. This week we will talk about closed and open shapes as well as completing patterns. The kids will take an assessment on shapes this Thursday!
Have a great week!
~Mrs. Rowlett and Miss Garcia~