This week 1st grade students will be taking both the Reading and Math MAPs test on Wednesday and Thursday. Please make sure that your child gets plenty of sleep the night before and eats a good breakfast the morning of testing. I can’t wait to see all the growth students have made! **A sign up genius email went out earlier requesting help with our Holiday Party. If you would like to help out, check out the link. Thanks! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805044ea4a722aaf85-christmas
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- The pajama drive has been extended through this week. If you would like to donate, please send in a new pair of pajamas.
- Literacy Activity is Wednesday, December 18th at 1:15 in our classroom.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK WE…
- Identified possessive nouns
- Reviewed common and proper nouns
- Worked on writing 5 Star sentences
- Reviewed the 3 different types of communities (rural, urban, suburban)
- Learned the difference between a map and a globe
- Found where we live on a map down to the street our school is on–Ask you child what town we live in and who our town leader is? Also, what state we live in and who our state leader is? We will continue to review these!
- Started a writing piece –”What is the best Christmas present ever?”
- Told time to the hour and half hour using both an analog clock and digital clock
THIS WEEK WE WILL…
- MAP test in both reading and math
- Enjoy a visit from a local dentist
- Continue to review and take an assessment on possessive nouns
- Review and take an assessment on common nouns
- Continue to review sentence types and the punctuation that goes with each type
- Finish our final drafts of our “Best Christmas Present” writing
- Finish our “Me on the Map” project books (Adding country, continent, and planet this week)
- Share through writing how we would make the “Grinch Grin”
- Engage in a fun STEM “snow shovel” building
- Take an assessment on telling time to the hour and half hour.
- Begin learning about fractions! Whole-1/1, one half-½, fourths or quarters-¼ –You can practice these fractions with your child at home when you or they are sharing something! For example: I have a whole cookie. I am going to share ½ of my cookie with my sister. I will eat ½ and she will eat ½.
SAVE THE DATE:
- Dec. 10th–Math MAPs testing
- Dec. 11th–Reading MAPs testing
- Dec. 12th–Oasis Family Movie Night @ 6p.m.
- Dec. 18th–First Grade Literacy Activity @ 1:15p.m.
- Dec. 19th–Class Christmas Party @ 12:30
- Dec. 23rd–1st day of Winter Break
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- Reindeer Directed Drawings! These turned out too cute not to share! We wrote a 5 Star sentence with a possessive noun to describe our Reindeer!