Hi first grade families! I hope you all had a great weekend! I’m grateful to all of the veterans who have served and are currently serving! The Book Fair was a big hit! I hope you all got some good books! We finished up our first trimester last week and we start the second one this week! Conferences are this Friday! Please sign up for a time if you haven’t already!
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Conferences are this Friday. Please be on time and come with any questions you may have regarding your child’s academic performance.
- National Junior Honor Society is collecting coats, jackets, sweatshirts, snow pants, warm hats, gloves and scarves now through November 14th. There are donation boxes in the front office.
- Middle School and High School student councils are participating in the Scholastic Pajama Drive and will be collecting pajamas from November 12th through December 6th. The pajamas will be for children in our area who are in need. They are collecting sizes from infant to teens.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
This week we will…
- Review nouns (common and proper) and verbs.
- Begin learning about the different sentence types–declarative (statement), interrogative (question), exclamatory (exclamation), imperative (giving a command).
- Continue determining the beginning, middle, and end of a story.
- Identify different types of communities (suburban, urban, and rural)
- Learn about Veteran’s Day and why it is observed.
- Begin a new word study (-ed words)
- Continue to identify shapes that are closed/open. Identify and count corners and sides as well as flat surfaces
- Sort and classify objects by shape, color, size, number of corners, sides and orientation.
- Describe and/or continue a pattern according to size, shape or color.
Last week we…
- Presented our community helper posters with our TRIBES group to middle school students.
- Learned about common and proper nouns
- Reviewed long and short vowels
- Introduced verbs
- Practiced answering and asking questions
- Wrote an opinion piece about the best Halloween candy
- Continued learning about ordinal numbers and took an assessment
- Began learning about shapes and their attributes.
SAVE THE DATE:
- November 11th — No school Due to Veterans Day
- November 15th–Parent Conferences
- November 25–Beginning of Thanksgiving break
- December 2nd–Students return from break.