WOW! The first trimester ended this past week and we begin our second trimester this week! Crazy how fast the school year is flying by! Thank you so much to those of you that were able to make it last minute to our Community Helper presentations! The students did a great job presenting to both parents and our 6th grade friends. If you were not able to make it, check out the slideshow for pictures of each poster. **Don’t forget conferences are this Friday! If you have not signed up for a time, please do so!
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Conferences are this Friday. Please be on time and come with any questions you may have regarding your child’s academic performance.
- National Junior Honor Society is collecting coats, jackets, sweatshirts, snow pants, warm hats, gloves and scarves now through November 14th. There are donation boxes in the front office.
- Middle School and High School student councils are participating in the Scholastic Pajama Drive and will be collecting pajamas from November 12th through December 6th. The pajamas will be for children in our area who are in need. They are collecting sizes from infant to teens.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
This week we will…
- Review nouns (common and proper) and verbs.
- Begin learning about the different sentence types–declarative (statement), interrogative (question), exclamatory (exclamation), imperative (giving a command).
- Continue determining the beginning, middle, and end of a story.
- Identify different types of communities (suburban, urban, and rural)
- Learn about Veteran’s Day and why it is observed.
- Begin a new word study (-ed words)
- Continue to identify shapes that are closed/open. Identify and count corners and sides as well as flat surfaces
- Sort and classify objects by shape, color, size, number of corners, sides and orientation.
- Describe and/or continue a pattern according to size, shape or color.
Last week we…
- Presented our community helper posters with our TRIBES group to middle school students and also our parents.
- Learned about common and proper nouns
- Reviewed long and short vowels
- Introduced verbs
- Practiced answering and asking questions
- Wrote an opinion piece about the best Halloween candy
- Continued learning about ordinal numbers and took an assessment
- Began learning about shapes and their attributes.
SAVE THE DATE:
- November 11th — No school Due to Veterans Day
- November 15th–Parent Conferences
- November 25–Beginning of Thanksgiving break
- December 2nd–Students return from break.
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- Students and their answer statements from problem solving. This is something that we have been working on for awhile and the students are really starting to get the hang of it!!
- A visit from a local vet.
- First grade Community Helper presentations.
- Community Helper posters created by each group.