Happy Halloween First Grade Families! This week will be filled with excitement for sure! I can’t wait to see our class all dressed up on Thursday!
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- The High School and Middle School Student Council is hosting a shoe drive! Please consider donating new or used shoes by October 31st.
- Our Halloween party will be Thursday, October 31st, from 12:30-1:45!
HOMEWORK: ***No Homework Thursday, October 31st! Have a fun, safe evening of Trick or Treating!!
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Practiced our community help posters.
- We had a visit from some amazing community helpers. We had a police officer, a farmer, a construction worker and the fire department come and tell us all about their jobs.
- Learned about super hero e, and the difference between long and short vowels.
- Identified the beginning, middle, and end of Spookley the Square Pumpkin and described Spookley’s character.
- Took a word study assessment on “og” words.
- Practiced counting back to find the difference.
- Determined if equations were True or False.
- Created word problems with a partner that we will share throughout this next week.
THIS WEEK WE WILL….
- Continue to practice our community helper posters.
- Have a visit from a military member and a doctor.
- Finish writing the beginning, middle and end of the story Spookley.
- Write an opinion piece about our favorite Halloween candy.
- Learn about common and proper nouns.
- Finish up our unit on subtracting and take an assessment.
- Begin learning about ordinal numbers. For example: The heart is second from the right. The smiley face is first from the left.
SAVE THE DATE:
- October 31st–Students can wear their Halloween costumes!! Please remember that your child needs to be able to go to the bathroom without assistance with their costume on. We will be having a school wide costume contest where the office staff will choose a grand prize winner from grade bands.
- November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!
- November 4th-7th–Oasis Book Fair
- November 15th–Parent Conferences–A sign up will be sent out sometime within the next week!
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- Our September Student of the Month
- Community Helper-Carpenter from a local construction company
- Community Helper-Local Farmer
- Community Helper-Police Officer
- Community Helper-Firemen