First Grade Families-
I cannot believe that we just ended our first quarter of school!! Our class had their last week of KIBO with Miss Heidi and now are moving onto Mrs. Kelly’s class for the next nine weeks of school!
- Monday, October 21st is Picture RETAKE day. If your child was absent on picture day or you would like their photos retaken students will need to have their picture taken on Monday.
- As the new quarter begins, don’t forget to send in any sock/leggings money if your child is wearing any colors other than navy or white.
- Student Council is still collecting shoes until October 31st and are in need of sneakers and soccer cleats.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE….
- Began another word study of -og family words.
- Continued reviewing digraphs.
- Identified the title, author, illustrator and what each one’s job is.
- Identified ending blends and the sounds they make. (-sk, -sp, -mp, -lt, -ft, and more)
- Finished cutting and mounting our community helper writings onto posters.
- Completed a fun Halloween writing…What should my teacher be for Halloween?
- Created a “Creature Catcher”.
- Practiced using the “count back” strategy to determine the difference in a subtraction equation.
- Wrote two addition equations and two subtraction equations for a given number bond.
THIS WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE WILL….
- Learn that super hero “e” makes the first vowel have a long sound. For example in the word bike, the “e” at the end makes the “i” say its name, making the “i” have a long vowel sound.
- Review short vowel sounds.
- Review ending blend sounds.
- Identify that a noun is a person, place, thing or animal and sort nouns into appropriate category.
- Practice presenting our community helper posters to our classmates.
- Review fiction story elements including characters, setting, problem, solution and beginning, middle and end using the story Spookley the Square Pumpkin.
- Continue to practice counting back to find the difference in subtraction equations.
- Create a word problem that uses either addition or subtraction. This extends our number stories that we have been practicing the last several weeks. Example: There were 8 dogs in our yard. 5 of them went into the neighbor’s yard. How many dogs are in our yard now?
SAVE THE DATE:
- November 1st–Future Fest Dinner!–All of the 1st grade teachers have wonderful donations for the auction! Be sure to get your tickets ASAP!
- November 4th-7th–Oasis BOOK FAIR–Our class will be going to the book fair to browse on the morning of November 5th.
THIS WEEK’S SLIDESHOW INCLUDES:
- Bat and “Haunted House” fact families.
- Creature Catcher creations! All groups caught a minimum of 9 creatures!
- Last day in KIBO. Showing off their “costumes” they created for their KIBO.