Hello First Grade Families,
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. The weather was amazing, it felt like spring. I can’t believe that it is so close to February. The year is flying by so quickly. I am so pleased with all the progress and learning of the first graders. It is so much fun to work with them and see the growth they are making.
- If you would like to order books from our scholastic book order please do so by January 31.
- Pizza passes need to be purchased by today.
Last week in first grade:
- We learned about plural nouns and which endings to add to a noun to make it plural.
- We learned about nonfiction text features and finished our own nonfiction text features books.
- We learned about Martin Luther King Jr. and wrote about who he was, what he had, and what he wanted for our country.
- We explored light and learned the vocabulary words transparent, translucent, opaque and reflective. The kids had fun exploring with light during our experiments.
This week in first grade:
- We will continue practicing making nouns plural.
- We will learn about adjectives and how they make our writing more colorful for our readers.
- We will practice breaking words into syllables.
- We will begin our nonfiction animal study.
- We will write about…If I were an animal, I would be a ________.
A Message from Miss Garcia:
The first graders did an outstanding job on their shape assessments and riddles. We began to make a 10 by branching the smaller number to compose a “10.” This concept is a bit challenging but with hard work and perseverance we will get through it!
As a school, we focus on “high number.” These are facts that your child should know by memorization and recall quickly. The “average” first grader is expected to pass high number 10 by the end of 1st grade. Just as they are expected to reach high number 5 by the end of Kindergarten. We have taught many strategies for addition and subtraction. Please support your child’s learning at home with their daily homework as this will help their fact practice/high number recall.
Have a great week!!
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia