We had a great week concluding our Hot wheels unit where the students demonstrated they completely understand the difference between potential and kinetic energy. While several students were absent Thursday, the teams persevered and completed their posters and oral presentations. Their speaking skills are improving and I was so proud to see them make eye contact and use their loud “speaking voice” during this assessment! Each team presented the data they discovered during both the collision and distance experiments to the class, and the posters were hung on our Bravo Board in the hallway.
This week we will begin a new unit focusing on waves. Students will make observations about sound, light, and electromagnetic waves. We will begin the unit by learning the anatomy of the wave and how to measure its wave length. We will also study vibrations through some fun, hands on activities. Project based learning in the BEST! The kids really get excited and I enjoy watching their eyes light up as the information we are learning starts to “click”!
Last week in writing, we introduced different strategies for generating ideas for opinion essays. This week we will expand those ideas from the organizer and begin writing a new opinion essay. Students will work on one paragraph at a time while focusing on a strong lead and introduction, reasons, and examples. I will conference with students to guide them in the right direction. However, peer editing and self reflection of their papers are still equally important.
Thursday afternoon we will have our Valentine’s party, starting at 3:20 (after the students return from PE) . Thank y’all for signing up through the Signup Genius to help with the festivities. As a reminder, exchanging Valentine’s cards is OPTIONAL. If your child wants to pass them out, they must bring enough for the whole class (24).
- The swag to support Mrs. Antoniono has arrived. Asking for a $2 minimum donation if you would like to pick up a bracelet (adult and kid sizes) or add a GREAT pin to your backpack or jacket!!
- February 4-13, the Middle School Student Council will be selling candy grams for 50 cents each. Deliveries will be made on Thursday, February 14th.
- February 18– NO SCHOOL- President’s Day
- February 28- Family Movie Night, featuring “The Incredibles 2”
- March 7, 2nd Trimester ends