Reminders and Announcements:
- We will be walking to the Fallon theater on Thursday, December 19th to see HOME ALONE 1 with 6th grade. Permission slips were sent home. Please fill out and return to school with $5.00.
- We will be having a Christmas celebration on Thursday the 19th also. Kids would like to do Secret Santa, so don’t forget your gifts. Students can also bring in some snacks for the afternoon.
- Students can dress up in Christmas attire on Thursday! Ugly Christmas sweaters, green, red, etc…
- LITERACY STRATEGY OF THE WEEK! Metacognition- which can be defined as “thinking about thinking.” Good readers use metacognitive strategies to think about and have control over their reading. Before reading, they might clarify their purpose for reading and preview the text. During reading, they might monitor their understanding, adjusting their reading speed to fit the difficulty of the text and “fixing” any comprehension problems they have. After reading, they check their understanding of what they read. As your child reads this week, have them check in before to think about their reading, then think as they read and adjust if needed, then check their understanding afterwards.
- NO school Dec. 23rd-Jan. 3rd. See you all in 2020!
5th grade Reading/Writing: Students continue to work on reading and writing about Earth’s spheres and interactions during our ELA block. Students will be writing informative paragraphs to explain their projects and how they demonstrate interaction among spheres.
5th grade Projects: We continue to research about Earth’s spheres. This week, students will revise and edit their work, then begin creating their model to show their element.
6th grade Reading/ Writing: Students continue reading Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson. We will finish the book this week and take the final test. We are excited to attend the Patriots Pen essay contest winners on Monday morning.