Hello first grade families,
We had a great first week back at school. This is such a fun group I can’t wait to learn and grow together this year. Last week in first grade we completed a few writing assignments, listened to a few back to school stories and practiced being attentive listeners.
- September 10 – Return your A Picture of Me sheet if you have not already done so.
- September 18– MAPS reading tests for first grade will be administered. Please make sure your child comes to school well-rested and has a well-balanced breakfast that morning.
- Label snacks and water bottles with your child’s class number. This helps us keep track of items and eliminates confusion.
- Picture day is September 25.
- Homework policy- A homework log is in your child’s binder. I will be checking these periodically throughout the week. Please make sure they are in your child’s binder every day. Please remember to date and initial each day your child completes his/her homework (Monday-Thursday). Math homework will be placed in your child’s binder daily. We will not begin reading groups for a few more weeks, so please have your child choose books at home to read for 20 minutes.
This Week in first grade we will…
- find the secret stories in our classmates names.
- learn the rules for read to self and build stamina as a whole group.
- practice finding the long and short vowel sounds in words.
- learn how to count syllables in words.
- begin our first Tribes activity– Building Our Community by introducing our classmates.
Math news from Miss Garcia
Last week we focused on writing and modeling numbers within 20. The kids practiced counting by 1’s and 10’s using base 10 blocks. Your child will be bringing home a nightly fact sheet just like last week. Please remember to return these to school each day as Mrs. Bloomfield and I are keeping track in order to hold students accountable; this will also factor into their 1st trimester grades.
Check out our pictures from the first week.