Dear 1st Grade Families,
We had a great first week of first grade! The students did a wonderful job learning routines and procedures. We’re excited to dive into more learning next week!
- Label all your child’s personal belongings (jackets, lunchbox, headphones, water bottles).
- Send a water bottle with your child.
- Send a morning snack in an outside pocket of your child’s backpack.
- Complete the papers in your child’s binder and return to school if you haven’t done so already.
- Please subscribe to our classroom blog if you have not yet. Please send in headphones for your child. We will use them for testing and then in reading throughout the year.
- Students will only have reading and math homework on Monday night since we are MAPs testing next week!
- Please make sure homework does NOT take longer than 20 minutes for reading and 10 minutes for math. If this occurs, please just send an email or note, letting me know.
LAST WEEK IN FIRST GRADE WE…
- Learned all the procedures for our classroom.
- Wrote about the best pet.
- Chose GOOD FIT books for our book boxes
- Reviewed all the vowels.
- Listened to some great stories about Attentive Listening
- Participated in some fun TRIBES activities including building a bridge that would hold 20 bears and also a team building “Starburst” activity!
THIS WEEK IN CLASS WE WILL:
- Practice classroom procedures
- Continue to work on our TRIBES agreements
- Choose good fit books
- Build stamina when reading to self
- Start our project — Introduce a TRIBE math
- MAP testing will be this week on Tuesday and Wednesday! Please make sure your child gets plenty of sleep and eats a good breakfast.
1st week slideshow…
Math News from Miss Garcia
This is a friendly reminder to return your child’s summer math packet. This packet counts for part of their work ethic grade! Also, please remember to return nightly math facts to school each day as the teachers are keeping track in order to hold students accountable; this will also factor into their 1st trimester grades.
Along with MAP testing your child will also focus on the following skills:
- Count on or back
- Find one more/one less than a number within 10
- Arrange numbers 1-10 in order
- Determine missing numbers within a counting sequence
Have a great week
Mrs. Rowlett & Miss Garcia