Dear First Grade Parents,
I hope everyone had a great long weekend. I love this time of year because all the first graders are making so much progress and learning so much.
- PLEASE label all coats, jackets, hats, and other winter accessories with your child’s first and last name.
- Reading every night for 20 minutes (This includes sight words and reading group books that are coming home each night. Please return the books each day with your child.)
- Math fact sheet each night
LAST WEEK WE…
- Continued learning about pronouns
- Began learning about adjectives
- Continued practicing -ing words
- Learned new non-fiction text features such as bold print words, heading, diagram, labels and how each of them helps us read a non-ficiton text
- Researched what our animal eats, where they live, and their life cycle
- Compared and ordered numbers to 20
- Decomposed numbers into tens and ones Example: 11 is decomposed into 1 ten and 1 one or 10+1. 15 is decomposed into 1 ten and 5 ones or 10+5.
THIS WEEK WE WILL…
- Learn why we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. day
- Take an assessment on pronouns
- Continue to learn about adjectives
- Practice spelling words within the -ump family
- Continue learning about non-fiction text features such as glossary, index, and captions
- Use 5 Star sentences to write about what we would do if we had a particular type of teeth
- Continue learning and writing more about penguins
- Decompose an addend to make a ten
- Add numbers within 20
Have a great Week!!!!